Sunday, April 29, 2018

Police officer with an ostomy

I am a Police officer, and I had to get a colostomy procedure following a workplace accident. I am happy to have my life today, especially after the injury that occurred while on the job. I will tell you about it in a moment; I just want to tell you to be happy with life and be sure to take in as much as you can today; it could all be gone tomorrow. During what seemed like a typical day at work, I received a call for dispatch that would end up changing my life. 


It was another day at work. I was on patrol when I received a call from dispatch saying there was a domestic disturbance that needed to be dealt with. I responded that I was on my way. Little did I know that this call would change my life. When I arrived on the scene, I saw the cause of the disturbance. A husband and his wife were out in the front yard of their home yelling at one another. I approached the couple to try and see what was going on and if I could defuse the situation without bringing anyone in. When the husband saw me, he pulled a gun and shot without a second thought. I got hit in my lower right abdomen. I did not know if it was caught by my vest or if it went through my body. I did my best to block it out, called in shots fired, and within thirty seconds, I had another few officers on scene. At this point, the husband had his wife as a hostage. We did our best to talk him down, so it did not have to end badly, but unfortunately, he was not going to come in quietly. Things escalated, and what we all did not want to happen happened. The wife was saved, but at what cost...



It was not until one of my co-workers said something that I was bleeding from my lower right abdomen. They called in an ambulance for me, and I was rushed to the hospital. On the way, the ambulance doctors unclothed my torso to get a better look at what was going on. The bullet had indeed snuck past my vest and went through me. They did their best to stop the bleeding; at this point, I was feeling a bit dizzy from the amount of blood I was losing. 

When I got to the hospital, the doctor rushed an x-ray and saw that the bullet had hit my large intestine and tore it open. He told me they needed to perform a colostomy procedure immediately. I was devastated but knew I needed it if I wanted to have proper bowel movements and digestive movements. Once the procedure was done, I did not feel much better or different. I had to stay for a few days so they could monitor me and teach me all I needed to know about my new situation. 



I am glad to be alive today. Without that surgery, I don’t think I would be if it were not for that. My life is not that much different now, but there are a few things that I cant do easily because of my ostomy bag. There is not much I cant do; I prefer to do everything myself if I am able to do so. I have learned to accept people’s help when they offer it because of my new situation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment